White rice is simply peeled brown rice. In short, a lot of nutrients gone when the outer part of the rice was removed during the milling process. Brown rice is a highly nutritious food. It is a whole grain that is relatively low in calories (216 calories per cup), high in fiber, gluten-free and can be incorporated into a variety of dishes. That is what I did today, Vegetarian Brown Rice Congee.
Congee or rice porridge is usually given to kids when they are sick. It is usually just plain white congee with a little sprinkle of green onion. This recipe is special… it’s healthy, appetizing to the eyes, and can be done in 5 easy steps! Let’s start!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Serving: 2 persons
1 cup of brown rice
1-liter vegetable broth or water
1 small sweet potato, cubed
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, diced
1-inch ginger, diced
4 large brown mushroom, cut into strips
250 grams tofu, sliced into cubes and fried
Crushed roasted peanuts
- Wash the rice until the water is clear. In a large pot, boil the rice and vegetable broth for 30 minutes. Tip: Slice your veggies while the rice is cooking
- In a stir-fry pan, sauté the onion until translucent. Add the garlic and ginger, cook until fragrant.
- Sauté the mushroom and add a teaspoon of salt. Add the cubed sweet potato, cook for three minutes.
- Add the vegetables in the cooked rice and broth, let boil until you achieve the consistency that you prefer.
- Serve in a bowl, topped with crushed roasted peanuts, tofu, and green onion. You can sprinkle with freshly ground pepper if you prefer.
Note: Stir frequently to avoid the rice sticking on the pot.