I was at work and I was suddenly craving for maki roll. Maki craving is one of my seasonal cravings. Unfortunately, I cannot find a Japanese restaurant that delivers in JAFZA. I waited until 5 PM like a kid waiting for the bell to ring when she finishes school. I dashed off to the Metro and got off at DMCC station. It was a short walk from the station and I arrived at Sumo Sushi and Bento. Sumo Sushi and Bento mainly cater to deliveries, however, they still serve dine-in customers but don’t be surprised if they serve their dishes in a plastic platter. 😊
It was difficult to decide because my colleagues and I like different kinds of sushi and maki. We started with Tom Yum Soup, simple soup with few shrimps and squids, it may not be sumptuous with ingredients but it tasted good. It warms a hungry tummy.
We ordered Akebono Special so we all can share and taste a lot of variants. Akebono Special has the following:
- Select cuts of tuna– fresh catch of tuna
- Local white fish – is not bad but not that great
- Salmon- also fresh and has a sweet after taste
- Squid- this is a no for me… I don’t like the texture of squid, it is too thick and tough.
- Tamago Nigiri– just egg on rice, that’s it.
- Shrimp Tempura– the usual shrimp tempura, nothing extravagant.
- California rolls- it has a creamy avocado, cucumber, mayo, and crabstick which was a little tough to chew. It is coated with sesame seeds that gave a crunchy texture.
We also ordered Spicy Tuna which is slices of tuna, cucumber, spicy mayo covered with sesame seeds. Eight slices of fresh tuna with a spicy kick. It was so good we ordered Crunchy Crazy, prawn tempura roll with cucumber topped with sweet n chili sauce.
While Akebono Special has a lot to offer, not all are great. Spicy Tuna and Crunchy Crazy were both good because the spiciness blended perfectly with the tuna and the shrimp tempura.
I am rating Sumo Sushi and Bento 3.5.